Sunday, August 14, 2011

arriving to Costa Rica



8/13/11
Day 1 in Costa
After 10 hours of travelling, I am greeted by a friendly cabman in musky San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica.  He is seemingly fascinated by our convo, as I notice he slows his driving as to extend our chat(and I suspect “maria” time too).  He knows the area well, is a lover of nature, and has pride in his country. 

Chat continues (the only conversation I’ve had all day- im feeling chatty).  He kindly soothed my concerns over the insects here (oh, one of my repellents broke in my duffle bag of course, which isn’t all bad… I will smell of bug’s worst nightmare from a mile away! ), shared my excitment for what Tortuguero & Arenal/Fortuna have to offer. talked about how CR seemingly changes visitors into more conscious beings – to which I said : I am ready for the transformation! –and gave me quick local do’s and don’ts. 
He educated me on “sodas” known in mexico as “fondas,” which are the local cheap yet home style meal you can get in the Tikan Hole-in-the-walls.  He also pointed out the Coca-Cola area, which is the nickname for the region for the busses to the whole country.   Finally he shared his dislike of the illegal Dominican immigration in the country (longer than I cared for) And let me know that my new neighborhood is a favorite night spot of the transvestites and burglars.   Thus, his big don’t of the evening, don’t go out for a walk in the city at night.  I obeyed.
So, bienvenida a Tranquilo Backpackers Hostel.  I am shown by the friendly Belgian girl and her kitty to my $17bux/night private 1.5 m X 3 m room (I measured it, my arms literally can reach wall to wall on the tight end).  It is painted with clouds from head to toe, adding to the heavenly feel in case it wasn’t already obvious, and has chatty hardwood floors.   the hostel's juvenile cat lingers outside my door (also outside my door - softball-sized hole in te ground into the unknown.  i crushingly reject its seducing meows (or rather some odd "ohs and ous") in attempt to avoid my not so fun allergy attacks. so no new le chat amie pour moi. Pardon.

Another thing I am trying to avoid (and my mom would think this is normal of me but its noooot) is showering haha. Sticky as you can imagine, I am slowly mustering up the strength to take potentially a “suicide shower" these thrifty hostels are known for. Wish me luck :)

Alright- an overly long recount of what could of just been expressed as a sticky long airplane day into a sticky tiny private dorm room in costa rica.  ** I can very fascinatingly and gigglingly say: I am feeling the adventure.  Not only that, but the amicable Tiko raza.
Tika tika tika.  Read on as this tortuguera continues…

No comments:

Post a Comment