Friday, August 26, 2011

Toto, i dont think we're in Kansas anymore.

Many things have pointed me in the direction of feeling out of my element. Starting by being the only RA w/o a science background, my blackberry not working, no cars, no privacy, and midnight shifts.... There are also a lot of things going on around us that have alluded to the obvious - i am in the wild.

Most recent occurence would be my getting stung twice by a snuggly litte fucker, haha, a blonde scorpion hidden in my bath towel, patiently awaiting my post yoga shower. It stung me twice first on my second finger (not index, theother second). It felt like i got an electric shock so i immediately thought it had to do w wet and shower... I flipped the towel to see wth, and it bitmme again on my pinky, then came out to say surprise! (i eventually surprised it in return, w the back of me flip flop - a few times!)

Needless to say, i freaked, shouting for the brave sloth heroes in the next dorm- and nothing. Came out half dressed, found Borja, a sweet spanish City RA (hes in my out of our element team) and he collected the crew to examine the scene of attack and my fingers. Google in the end, as always, came to save the day.

Not a big deal, Besides the initial "this cld get really bad," and hearing emmas "civilizatn is 3 hrs away by boat" warning in the back of my head, my fingers simpy pulsated for a cpl hours, then got tingly.... And then all was ok. I did wake up missing the tips of both, but pretty painless altogether. Guess no more piano career for me Hahaha.

Jokes aside, im beginning to feel more dundee by the minute. aka so feeling OOME is a good thing!

The evening continued w a movie night, watching 180 degrees south which i highly recommend. Some kinks to make it less of an incomplete eco-ed film, and the inspired "dirtbag" (in the film meaning adventure man lives on the road) doesnt have the narration voice to make it a full on motivator (lacking some Morgan Freeman, or Johnny Cash ;) ) also he forces some inspirational quotes... BUT Yvon Chounaird (owner of Patagonia) and Doug st (northface)'s involvement, as they recount their climbing and surf adventures was Inspiring, as well as the cool cinematography and the pick-me-up soundtrack make it worthwhile. I related w a few statements : From the dirtbag "starting to feel less attached to his [my] life duties back home, and focusing more on whats around me" and Yvon also says, "when everything goes wrong [or makes an unexpected turn], thats when adventure starts."

Well the advenutres continue. Hopefully scorpionless for the rest of the ride.

PS
Many more anomalies to share, like turtles attacked by jags, a dead horse w shark bites in our very own bermuda triangle, and more... but i guess i already got bitten to make this blog more interesting, so ill have to save my juicy stories for another time!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, your poor little finger! You're going to come back a full out hippy- I can see it now! Haha! Love reading about your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. K lo, haha i luv ur new nickname, thank u for virtually joining me on me travels. Miss exploring w u. Wish u all the best, hope the baby belly is treating u swell.

    ReplyDelete